Kent County Women Tough Day in Buckinghamshire. Buckinghamshire 41 – Kent 15

First game of the competition for Kent County Women and it was a tough day but the they came away with high spirits and smiles. Buckinghamshire emerged victorious in a hard-fought match, with Kent showing moments of utter brilliance but ultimately falling short.

Match Report: Buckinghamshire vs Kent – Women’s Rugby

Millie Gibbs and Katie Gent 

First Half:

The match kicked off with a big opening hit from Kent’s No. 4, Milly, setting the tone for a physical encounter. Early miscommunication led to the first scrum at the 3-minute mark, with Kent showcasing their dominance in the scrum.

Despite solid try-line defending by Kent, Buckinghamshire managed to score the opening try at the 5-minute mark, although the conversion was missed. A long kick-off chased down saw Molly tackle the opposition, allowing Janina to steal the ball, only to knock it on.

Kent continued to dominate in the scrums and a strong carry from Maddie, followed by offloads to Ella and Allisha, resulted in a penalty for Buckinghamshire not rolling away. Kent nearly scored but were held up over the line and later ripped on the tryline.

Kent stole a lineout and made a strong run upfield, earning a penalty under the posts. This allowed Fiona to score a try, although the conversion was missed. Buckinghamshire responded with a strong attacking play, but Fleur’s try-saving tackle was not enough to prevent another try, with the conversion missed once again.

The first half saw multiple penalties against Buckinghamshire for high tackles, offside, and not rolling away. Kent maintained their pressure with strong runs from Rhiannon and Allisha, and good offloads leading to a cross-field kick that was just too long for Molly. A high tackle on Maddie resulted in a warning from referee Rebecca Piddlesden.

From the subsequent penalty, a strong run from Olamide to Fleur, followed by a quick pick-and-go from Laura, resulted in a try for Kent, though the conversion was missed. The first half ended with a balanced score of 10-10.

Second Half:

The second half began with Ella carrying an injury from contact. Buckinghamshire capitalized on a missed tackle by Kent to score a try, but the conversion was missed. A yellow card for Kent’s winger Olamide for a high tackle added to Kent’s woes.

Buckinghamshire’s hard carrying and a break forced Molly to track back from the halfway line, but she just missed the tackle, leading to another try for Buckinghamshire, with the conversion scored. More missed tackles saw Buckinghamshire score another try and convert it.

Kent faced further setbacks with yellow cards for high tackles to Ella and Fleur, reducing them to 12 players. Despite being under pressure, Rhiannon held up a Buckinghamshire try. Returning to 14 players, Milly made a strong carry, fending off Buckinghamshire players, but a hair pull from Buckinghamshire’s No. 9 resulted in a yellow card for the home side.

Buckinghamshire managed to score again and convert. Kent’s Hannah made a break, passing to Caroline, then to Gemma, back to Caroline, and finally back to Hannah for a try, though the conversion was missed. Despite great defensive play and a break from Freddie, she was pushed into touch, ending Kent’s final attacking opportunity.

Full Time:

Buckinghamshire 41 – Kent 15

Next week the Women face Berkshire at home. Sunday 26th May, Medway Rugby Club 3pm KO. All supporters welcome!